“Anti-depressants are not addictive, can take 2-4 weeks for an antidepressant to start working. If you stop suddenly you can get flu like symptoms… should do this in a planned way with your doctor.”
Tangata whai ora*:
“From my point of view medication should always be put with therapy. It helps you motivate you and move you through the therapy, and also it gave me a bit of hope.”
- Stands for: Serotonin Specific Re-uptake Inhibitors
- Increases the amount of serotonin in your brain.
- Usually prescribed medication for 6-12 months.
- If you experience depression more than a couple of times in your life you may need to take it for longer.
- Common side effects, headache, nausea, tummy upset.
*Tangata whai ora = in this context: adolescent service user