The complexity of issues facing young people today continues to grow. Adolescence is in itself a time of conflict. The required responses of workers with young people continue to grow.
These workshops utilise the latest research to better equip workers with young people, and will provide answers applicable to your day-to-day work.
What participants will gain from this workshop?
- Understand differences and links between non-suicidal self injury (NSSI) and suicidal behaviour.
- Identifying those most at risk of non-suicidal self injury.
- Risk factors for non-suicidal self injury.
- Protective factors for non-suicidal self injury.
- Strategies to address self injury behaviour - short / long term.
Garry King has extensive experience with working with young people encountering the issues of self harm and suicidal behaviour. This experience is the result of having worked as a teacher, youth worker and counsellor and complimented by degrees in welfare and education as well as masters degrees in counselling and suicidology. He has previously worked as the youth welfare consultant for the Australian Institute for Suicide Research and Prevention. He was appointed an adjunct lecturer, youth welfare at the Central Qld University and is the recipient of a Churchill Fellowship to the USA. He presently holds an academic title of Lecturer with Griffith University, Australia. Garry has written a number of journal articles and books on youth welfare as well as being a speaker at national conferences. Hs most recent book is “What Every Parent Needs to Know About Their Children and self Injury”. He is a peer reviewer for the International Journal of Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention. Garry is an invited author for the 2016 School Social Work USA. Garry was an invited speaker at the 2018 World Positive Psychology, Mindfulness & Psychotherapy Conference in New York.
Choose one workshop:
Monday 24th September: Venue: Mangere Town Centre Library, Bader Drive, Mangere Town Centre
- “Working with Young People who Self injury” Workshop (AUD $110- Inc. GST) Time: 9:15 – 12:45
- “Working with Young People who Self injury” Workshop (AUD $110- Inc. GST) Time: 1:30 – 4:30
Tuesday 25th September - Venue: Ponsonby Community Centre, 20 Ponsonby Terrace, Ponsonby
- “Working with Young People who Self injury” Workshop (AUD $110- Inc. GST) Time: 9:00 – 12:30
Morning and afternoon tea provided.