Mental Health and Addictions Educator - Emergency Departments
- Mentor and equip staff in this new and exciting Educator role in our Emergency Departments.
- 0.7 FTE, fixed term position – ending 30/09/23.
- A background in mental health/ addictions & delivering education is essential.
Our Purpose: Why we do it
When you work with the Canterbury District Health Board, you’re part of something very special. We plan, fund and deliver health services to the almost 600,000 New Zealanders that live in the Canterbury region. Our primary goal is to put people at the heart of everything we do.
The Team: What we do
This is a new and exciting position that is focused on coaching and educating staff, across a full range disciplines, who work in the Emergency Department - soon to be operating out of the new Waipapa building, Christchurch Public Hospital; Ashburton Acute Admitting unit, and Kaikoura health (within their practice, with people who present with mental health and addictions issues). Your role will fall under the umbrella of the Specialist Mental Health Services Training Unit, based at Hillmorton Hospital. However, the position will be require you to spend most of your time working within and between Christchurch Public Hospital; Ashburton and Kaikoura. You will be supported in your own workforce development by your manager and Professional Leader, and will be proactive in this space as well as being engaged in your own clinical supervision.
The Role: Where you fit in
The Mental Health and Addiction Educator will coach and educate staff in best practice when they work with people who present with Mental Health and/or Alcohol and Drug presentations. This role has been created as a means to increase the capability and confidence of emergency care staff in this field; as such, you will not be tasked with any clinical work, rather, you will be mentoring, teaching, and developing staff as they go about their work on the frontline.
The role will involve:
- Coaching frontline clinicians to provide best practice with people who present with mental health and addictions issues
- Planning and delivering mental health and addiction education sessions based on adult education principles
- Proactive engagement with staff on the ground, clinical management, and other ED educators
- Assist in identifying areas for development alongside staff, and develop with them objectives and plans in order to help them apply learnings to practice.
- Travel between Canterbury DHB services.
The ideal applicant will:
- A clinician (from any discipline) who has a depth of mental health and addictions experience.
- Be a highly motivated and flexible self-starter with the ability to work both in teams and autonomously
- Have a minimum of three years experience in developing and delivering education programs in clinical or education settings
- Hold a postgraduate qualification.
- Bring with them experience of having applied adult-based education principles to practice.
- Have excellent communication and engagement skills – especially as this is an autonomous role, good liaison and partnership skills are essential.
- Both values and is currently engaged in their own supervision arrangement.
- Will have a good knowledge of the physical needs of consumers who present.
- Knowledge of Emergency Departments would be an advantage, but is not essential.
- Have resilience, and the ability to be adaptable, flexible and solution focused – particularly as this is a new position, you will be ‘paving the way’.
This is a 0.7 FTE, fixed term position – running through to 30/09/23.
Our Culture: What matters to us
Ko ngā tāngata, te mātua mahi
Putting people at the heart of all we do
Health is ultimately all about people. What’s important around here is the way we care for and respect others, the responsibility taken for delivering outcomes, and going about our work with integrity.
Belonging Here: Becoming part of our story
Being part of the Canterbury District Health Board, you will enjoy a fantastic benefits scheme, the opportunity for flexible working arrangements and ongoing focus on your career development.
If this role has sparked your interest but does not match your skills then please visit our careers website and have a look at our roles that better suit your expertise.
If you are interested in this role please apply now! Only applications submitted via our career site will be accepted.
For additional information about this role please contact us on [email protected]z