Registered Nurse - Assessment, Treatment and Rehabilitation (Mental Health)
- Permanent positions available - working on a four days on, two days off roster
- Enquiries welcome from those who are interested in fixed-term positions
- Registered with the Nursing Council of New Zealand with a current APC
Our Purpose: Why we do it
When you work with the Canterbury District Health Board, you're part of something very special. We plan, fund and deliver health services to the almost 600,000 New Zealanders that live in the Canterbury region. Our primary goal is to put people at the heart of everything we do.
The Team: What we do
Thank you for your interest in joining our amazing team of Nurses and Allied Health Professionals working in our Forensic Intellectual Disability Inpatient Service located in Christchurch, New Zealand.
Our service provides specialised regional services for consumers with an intellectual disability (ID) who present with high risk behaviour and challenges, as well as consumers with an intellectual disability who have committed an imprisonable offence. The Assessment Treatment and Rehabilitation Unit (AT&R) is an in-patient clinical unit within the CDHB that provides specific clinical assessment for our consumers, who may also be under the Intellectual Disability Compulsory Care and Rehabilitation Act (IDCC and R Act 2003).
Our service enables our staff to make a real difference in the lives of people across the South Island. The work is fast paced varied and valued - a combination that is sure to guarantee job satisfaction.
Our staff are the key to our success in delivering quality services for our consumers. We welcome applications from experienced ID/LD trained nurses as well as Comprehensive nurses interested in a career in Intellectual Disability. Forensic nursing experience would be advantageous.
Now is a particularly exciting time to join our service as we are developing a model of care and building a new high care area onto our current facilities. We are committed to becoming a centre for excellence for ID services.
The Role: Where you fit in
We aim to be a leader in New Zealand for the delivery of intellectual disability inpatient services. We have career opportunities for applicants keen to work in an innovative and best practice environment.
In this role, you will be responsible for the following:
- Assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of nursing interventions for consumers in conjunction with them and their whanau
- Our staff work in multi-disciplinary teams to deliver individualised and culturally appropriate programmes to consumers within our service
- Development and implementation and guidance of Positive Behaviour Support Plans in conjunction with the MDT
Your skills will include the following:
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the proven ability to engage people at all levels
- Excellent time management and organisational skills, with an ability to complete assigned tasks to a high standard and on time
- A passion for supporting individuals to build personal life skills
- A positive solution focused approach with ability to use own initiative and be motivated to work autonomously and as a member of a close team
- Excellent skills in risk assessment and management
For the right candidate, the ID Service will offer the following:
- Opportunities for professional development and career progression
- Specialist in-house training and workshops
- Support for postgraduate study
- The opportunity to be part of a large tertiary hospital
Our Culture: What matters to us
Ko ngā tāngata, te mātua mahi
Putting people at the heart of all we do
Health is ultimately all about people. What's important around here is the way we care for and respect others, the responsibility taken for delivering outcomes, and going about our work with integrity.
Belonging Here: Becoming part of our story
Being part of the Canterbury District Health Board, you will enjoy a fantastic benefits scheme, the opportunity for flexible working arrangements and ongoing focus on your career development.
If this role has sparked your interest but does not match your skills then please visit our careers website and have a look at our roles that better suit your expertise.
If you are interested in this role please apply directly on our career site. Please note only applications submitted via our career site will be accepted.
Contact us on [email protected] for additional information